Our environmental policy is based on an ongoing commitment to improve Lysses environmental performance, whilst improving efficiency and complying with all relevant regulations and codes of practice. We aim to be the premier green hotel in Fareham. We are also members of the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
Environmental management is the responsibility of the Board of Directors, however we require our staff and suppliers to work in an environmentally responsible manner and we ask for ongoing support from our customers where appropriate.
What We do To Be Green
Our main environmental considerations are energy, water, waste and materials. At Lysses we have already taken the following steps towards improvement in these areas.
- Reviewing working methods.
- Implementing staff training specifically related to minimizing waste.
- Reducing energy consumption by upgrading old equipment .
- Replacing our old gas boilers with a new energy efficient central heating system.
- Using energy saving light bulbs where possible.
- Installing power monitoring equipment to monitor usage and to identify wastage.
- Regularly reading the water meter and recording results to monitor usage and identify wastage.
- Installing sensors in all urinals and water saving devices in all toilet cisterns.
- Recycling of our glass, cardboard, newspapers and textiles.
- Recycling of tins, plastic bottles and cartons.
- Reusing paper for internal use and recycling waste paper
- Composting our kitchen waste for use in our herb garden.
- Using as many local suppliers as possible.
- Reducing the use of hazardous or non-degradable chemicals within the company.
- Reducing the chemicals, water and energy used in our laundry by asking our guests to reuse their towels and reducing the amount of sheet changes during their stay if they wish.
- Converting our laundry machines to auto dosing liquid to reduce chemicals and packaging.
- Purchasing more products from sustainable sources.
- Encouraging staff to car share.
- Encouraging cycling to work and providing cycle lock up facilities.
What You Can Do To Help
Please help us by:
- turning off the lights, television and other electrical equipment when you leave the room or go to bed
- turning your radiators down or off rather than opening the window if you are too hot
- reusing your towels where possible
- using the shower instead of the bath
- ensuring your taps are turned off when they are not in use
- filling the kettle with enough water for your needs.
- reporting any maintenance issues to reception
Our Responsible Visitor Charter
Conserve energy – Reduce energy by turning the lights and television off when leaving your room. Turn the radiators down or off when you’re hot instead of opening the window. When using the air conditioning please keep the windows closed and make sure the heating is off.
Be water wise – Please turn off the taps when you’re brushing your teeth. Please do not flush any foreign objects down the toilet, use the bin provided. Only leave towels you would like changed on the floor. When using the kettle, please only boil the water you need.
Give the car a rest – Leave the car behind and walk, cycle or use public transport. Our car park is free for all residents to use.
Reduce, reuse and recycle – Recycle any waste you have and choose products with less or recyclable packaging.
Support local business, culture & heritage – Visit our local shops, important heritage buildings and attend local events and festivals. Please help support our local community.
Respect nature – Help us to look after the landscape and wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly.
Support Green Businesses – There are thousands of businesses in the British Isles working to reduce their carbon footprint through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more sustainable. Look for a Green Tourism Business when booking accommodation or visiting sites.
Click on Green businesses for more details.